Sunday, September 17, 2006

First Steps . . .

OK, the first step in this thing came from Zack Miller, the VP of Publishing at MBI. We went to college together, and have worked together for a long time now. More than 12 years. He's a friend, and my boss.

We have coffee each week, and he said that he thought it was time for me to pursue my dream, and that he'd support me as a publisher. That kind of support from what will be one of my primary clients is terrific, and was just the push I needed to jump off into the void.

Things are pretty quiet about this right now. I've told a few friends, and the CEO at MBI knows (even came up to congratulate me during a quiet moment at the company car show last Saturday). The rest of the company doesn't know yet, so it's not on the radar screen there.

I did tell an old friend, Sam Wheeler, and his whole family called and said "Congratulations." He's one of those who've been urging me to do this, and the message was really nice.

So I'm working on a list of books to take on, and on drumming up some more magazine clients. One of my primary clients, Motorcycle Escape magazine, went belly up this week (of course). That's a drag, but just points out the fact that I need some venues with more readers (and bigger budgets) anyway.

So I'm researching magazines, looking for a couple of good homes for my debaucherous adventures. Know any magazines interested in stories about motorcycle-riding nutbags cut loose in exotic destinations? Send 'em my way . . .

No comments: