Saturday, July 10, 2010

Small Garage Paradise

While my move to Austin, Texas has overall been wonderful, one of the tough parts has been leaving behind my dream garage in Minnesota. The time has come to rectify this situation, and make my little garage here in Austin into a gearhead escape. 

I'm looking for suggestions from readers about how to affordably outfit a small garage, with a focus on DIY and products that provide high return (they don't have to be cheap--just worth it).

So if you have suggestions for projects, products or designs that use space efficiently, let me know! Send some photos if you've done something particularly space-saving or just plain cool in your own garage.

Note that my garage caters to several specific needs. It houses motorcycles and gear, bicycles and gear, camping gear, canoe gear, and a small workbench with a vise and a grinder.

Here are some of the specific storage challenges I'm looking to solve:

• How to coat the garage floor in a high-quality, DIY, economical fashion
• Motorcycle gear storage; any interesting ideas for helmets, gloves, etc.
• Bicycle storage: as compact and efficient as possible
• Laptop mounting: I'd like to have a station to mount your laptop near the work bench for garage projects
• Air conditioning / Heating: I'm interested in one wall-mounted unit that does both, as efficiently as possible
• Garage door technology: I'm interested in garage doors that are space-efficient.

If you have suggestions that will help small garage owners, drop me a line at lee@671press.com.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Hi Lee, welcome to Austin! Although not a DIY solution, bicycle accessory manufacturer Topeak makes a very elegant floor to ceiling storage/display called the Dual-Touch. It's a great way to show off your bicycle! (Here in Austin, home of Lance, a lot of guys spend more on carbon fiber bicycles than they do motorcycles!). The dual touch does require your bike to have a fairly standard frame configuration with a relatively flat top tube.

Cheers!