Sunday, March 25, 2007

Geeking Out

I've been home catching up on a few things the past week, and I've been playing around with some new technology. The first bit was something I've had for a while, an Olympus DM-1 digital audio recorder. I've been meaning to use it for the ATV club features for a while, and I tried it out on the Arkansas trip, and it worked great.

I taped most of the interviews with the ATV club, and it worked really slick for that. The unit is small and innocuous, which is good, and you turn it on with a simple record button. I left it resting on my Honda's tank bag (the interviews all took place by the bike) and it picked up the voices of anyone within about eight feet of it.

The built-in microphone works pretty well. I found a reference to an external microphone that is supposed to work better that I may try down the road. For now, this is fine.

The files go on to SmartMedia cards, and can be transferred to my computer. I downloaded the latest Olympus software, and I could play them on the computer. A foot-operated rocker switch would help to cue the audo to start and stop as I type, and I'd like to find some automatic transcription software, but those are niggles. Using tape is something I'll do from now on.

I found that meant I can take thinner notes, and just write the prime quotes down. I can also get a much richer quote by using the recorder. And the 128mb cards hold 20 hours of audio. I have three cards, so I'm set on that front.

I also hooked up my new Sunrocket phone so that I can record phone interviews, which will help out a ton with that process.

Speaking of which, internet phones (like Sunrocket) are cheap and very slick to use. You can set it up to have messages sent as audio files to your e-mail. This means I'll get phone messages even when I'm on the road. That has been a good addition.

My last bit of geeking out this week is setting up a wireless network at home. A friend of mine wanted to upgrade to the new Airport base station, so he sold me his old one cheap. I installed that in the office--which took all of about 20 minutes--and had a wireless office. Nice.

The range is pretty good, but I wasn't getting good coverage in my house, which is about 50 feet away from my garage. I would get a connection in the house, but not a strong or consistent one. So I added a small Airport Express unit, which Apple is clearing out for less than $100. Setting that up took some doing--I think because of how my security was set up on the base station--but I solved those problems tonight and now have solid wireless throughout the house and in the office.

I have internet access in the house, and can use my laptop to access the files on my main computer out in the garage. Plus, Airport Extreme hooks into your stereo, and allows you to play iTunes through the stereo. I can play music in the house with my laptop, and my CD collection can go into boxes and be put away!

Lastly, I've been doing a little home improvement on the weekends. I did a little painting, am having the living room hardwood floor refinished, and having been getting bids on having the driveway paved. I'm also putting some thought into the back patio, and have a rough plan for that and hope to start in the next few weeks.

And, yes, I did file a story, sell some photos for the Seasons on the Farm collection MBI is publishing, and make a contact with the managing editor at one of Buzz Kanter's magazines.

A fine geek week, all around.

No comments: