Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Motorcycle Paradise



I just returned from a few days in the Ozarks, one of my favorite parts of the world. The country is gorgeous, the weather is great this time of the year, and the people are friendly. Plus the motorcycling is outstanding, with great twisty roads to ride on the street and tons of good off-road riding, as well.

I spent a day playing off-road at Brock Creek with my new (to me) 125SX. The KTM and I fared better than a year ago at the same spot, a day in which I spent most of the time picking the bike up off the ground. I rode with Darrick Anderson and his brother, Trevor.

I also spent a day doing a club profile for ATV Rider magazine. This month it was the Northwest Arkansas ATV Club, a good bunch who showed me around the Mill Creek Riding Area. My favorite quote from Tom Scates, a long-time ORV enthusiast, who said, “I don’t drink bourbon or coffee anymore . . . My vice is my Rhino.”



Sunday was spent doing a ride for Cruiser magazine with Billy Bell and his father, Gene. I met the two at a cafe in their hometown of Jasper, a great little town near the Arkansas Grand Canyon (yeah, I didn't know there was one, either). They were having breakfast with a group of cafe regulars, and I was treated to stories abou the town's origins. One of the local guys, John Hudson, told me his dad, who was a well-known doctor who did some innovative work with TB patients. John invited me to stop by his home, which is a much rennovated place built around an 1826 cabin. Gene, Billy, and I stopped in for a tour, and it was amazing. The guy has a complete museum in his house, with medical devices and lots of momentos from his dad's career.

So a good trip to Arkansas. Now I just have to convince Andy at Cruiser that my "favorite ride" is Arkansas, not Colorado! I'm working on an article for him in the next issue which features "Editor's Favorite Rides." Colorado works better for the issue geographically but I prefer Arkansas--it's motorcycle paradise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good post.